It’s rhubarb season, and I’ve really come to appreciate the massive plant in our backyard that we inherited when we bought our house!
I was in need of a dessert to bring to my families BBQ (my father has a gluten allergy and my uncle has celiac). So, I pinterested my heart out (it’s an addiction that clearly pays off) and found this yummy recipe. It was a hit with my family and there was non left over! I do have to say I found it really sweet, but paired with some ice cream this would be perfect!
So if you’re looking for a use for all that rhubarb taking over your garden or for something delicious to eat give this a try!
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon zest ( I didn’t actually measure this)
3 cups sliced strawberries
4 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
1 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Way)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup salted butter (I used unsalted by accident)
3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- Set your oven to 375°. Lightly butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch.
- Then add the lemon zest, sliced strawberries and rhubarb, then mix together until fruit is covered.
- Pour the fruit mixture into your buttered baking dish.
- In a separate bowl measure the flour, brown sugar, butter and oats. Use a pastry blender to mix together until butter pieces are pea-sized.*
- Crumble mixture over the fruit
- Bake for 45 minutes in the oven. Topping should be a lightly browned crisp.
***I did not follow step number 5 properly and just used a wooden spoon to mix it all together, resulting in a dough 😦 I added a bit more brown sugar and flour to my dough to try and dry it out and then used my hands to attempt step 6. Moral of the story: read recipes in full before attempting to make them.